You believe that all women and girls deserve to have access to their basic rights and live free of violence and abuse. You also believe that young people in developing countries deserve a better access to capacity building, economic opportunities and leadership. You can help us to make it possible. You can be an agent for change by leaving a legacy gift to Crossroads International.
How to start
If you own stocks or mutual funds that have grown in value, you may have to pay taxes on your profits when you sell them. By donating them directly to Crossroads International you can eliminate your tax bill, receive a charitable income tax receipt, and make a significant gift at the same time. This option is attractive if you have appreciated investments and wish to make a gift from savings rather than cash flow.
Your gift will not qualify for the capital gains tax elimination if your shares are sold and the cash then gifted to a charity. The donation must be made “in-kind” to qualify for the capital gains tax exemption, so the securities must be transferred directly into Crossroads International’s brokerage account. A donation receipt is issued for the fair market value of the security on the date of transfer.
Crossroads International strongly recommends that you seek professional advice to ensure your financial goals are considered, your tax situation reviewed, and your planned gift is tailored to your circumstances.
Benefits of Gifts in Stocks and Securities
- Simple and Convenient: Shares are easy to transfer. Your broker transfers the shares from your account directly to Crossroads International’s brokerage account. The date of your donation will be the date the shares are received in our brokerage account.
- Tax Advantages: By donating your appreciated stock or mutual funds directly to Crossroads International you will receive two kinds of tax savings: a tax credit in the form of a charitable tax receipt and the elimination of the capital gains owed on the disposition of the shares.
- Another Tax Advantage: Gifts of Publicly Traded Securities and Mutual Funds can also be given through your Will. This is an excellent way to reduce capital gains taxes upon death, thereby significantly reducing taxes and may increase inheritances to your loved ones.
- Reduced Brokerage Fees: Many brokerage houses forego fees for charitable transactions. Ask your broker.
- Recognition: Your gift can be honoured during your lifetime.
- Satisfaction: Your gift is made for personal reasons; you can create a lasting memorial for you, your family or anyone you may wish to honour. Of course, you will also continue to be part of solutions that fundamentally improve people’s lives by reducing poverty and advancing women’s rights around the world.
Crossroads International is pleased to provide you with a Securities Donation Intent Form to complete the transaction.