Applications for this position have been closed. Thank you very much for your interest.
Position: Regional Program Manager, West Africa
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Language: English (French an asset)
Status: Local fixed-term contract under Senegalese law
Supervisor: Regional Representative, West Africa
Position Type: 1 Year With Possibility of Renewal
Closing Date: October 8, 2023 at 11PM GMT
Under the supervision of Crossroads International’s West Africa Regional Representative, the West Africa Regional Program Officer will be responsible for managing the project portfolio in all the countries covered by the regional office (Senegal, Togo, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea) and for monitoring the implementation of the volunteer cooperation program. She will monitor and evaluate projects and participate in the development of new projects in West Africa. She will support the Regional Representative in the development of regional programming. She will assist the Regional Representative in all related tasks concerning the management of programming at regional level. She will supervise the West Africa Regional Office program team based in Dakar, Senegal, made up of project managers and volunteers.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE AN IMPACT
- DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF PROJECTS AND PROGRAMS (70%):
- Participates in the development of the implementation plan for the Voluntary Cooperation Program (PCV) in West Africa;
- Participates in the ongoing identification of VCP implementing partners and strategic partners;
- Ensures the implementation of the VCP in all Crossroads intervention countries in West Africa;
- Carries out VCP planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Actively supports the development of new initiatives, in each country of intervention in West Africa and at the regional level in collaboration with the program team in Canada;
- Manages, implements, monitors and evaluates Crossroads’ VCP portfolio and related projects in West Africa, in accordance with protocols signed between Crossroads and implementing partners;
- Coordinates and produces all planning documents and reports for the VCP and related projects, in collaboration with national and regional teams, volunteers and local partners;
- Ensures sound management of human, material and financial resources for the PCV and related projects;
- Ensures compliance with the Crossroads procedures manual during implementation of the VCP and related projects (standards and procedures) in collaboration with the program team and the administrative and finance department in Canada;
- Ensures the follow-up of time sheets and the management of all persons involved in the implementation of the PCV and related projects, including project managers, volunteers, national consultants and partners;
- Plans and coordinates Crossroads team missions in the different countries of intervention in West Africa;
- Manages the portfolio of partners involved in the implementation of the VCP and related projects in West Africa;
- Continuously analyzes the evolving context at national and regional levels to effectively feed Crossroads’ programming development process in West Africa;
- Effectively supports the development of Crossroads international programming in West Africa in close collaboration with the program team in Canada;
- Ensures the supervision of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) in all Crossroads projects in West Africa with the support of the MEL officer in Canada;
- Ensures the development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of projects and programs in the West African region;
- Implements or improves, at the regional level, tools and systems for safety management, project monitoring and evaluation, and volunteer recruitment and management in accordance with Crossroads standards and procedures;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of a communication and representation strategy for Crossroads in West Africa in coordination with the regional office and Crossroads’ External Relations department in Canada;
- Contributes to the implementation of Crossroads’ program development and funding strategy in West Africa.
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (15%)
- Effectively manages and coaches staff and volunteers under his/her supervision (Project Officers and Program Support Officers – Senegal, Togo, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea) in accordance with Crossroads’ human resources policy and performance management procedures;
- Ensures that the individual and collective development, training and support needs of the staff under his/her responsibility are identified and met;
- Organizes and carries out annual appraisals of staff under his/her supervision;
- Supervises and effectively supports the Canadian volunteer teams responsible in countries where there are no Crossroads International offices (Togo, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea).
- Plans, carries out and monitors volunteer recruitment for countries in the region;
- Ensures effective monitoring of volunteer work in West Africa (Senegal, Togo, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea);
- Ensures the establishment of a culture of partnership between Canadian volunteers and West Africa office staff;
- Fosters the creation of spaces for exchange, collaboration and learning between volunteers in the various countries where Crossroads operates in West Africa.
- ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE (10%)
- Collaborates with the Regional Representative and the Regional Administrative and Financial Manager on the annual budgeting process for the region;
- Ensures the strict implementation of the Crossroads office safety and security manual in the various countries where Crossroads operates;
- Contributes to the implementation and continuous improvement of Crossroads procedures and processes in the countries of intervention in West Africa and at the regional level;
- Provides administrative and financial support to teams of volunteers in countries where Crossroads does not have an office.
- Ensures, in collaboration with the program and finance teams, the reconciliation of all projects in the region.
- OTHER (5%):
- Creates synergies and promotes the sharing of knowledge and practices between our PCV activities and those of our projects with those of other partners;
- Ensures the effective integration and monitoring of HFE and environmental strategies within projects;
- Assumes all other responsibilities inherent to Crossroads’ West Africa regional office;
- Act as program development advisor for Crossroads’ West Africa regional office.
- Supports the organization’s objectives within the framework of strategic and operational plans.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO CROSSROADS
- University degree in a relevant field (project management, agronomy, sociology, social sciences);
- At least 7 years’ practical and relevant experience, including 5 years in a similar position, at regional level;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Demonstrated project development skills;
- Experience in coordinating and managing multiple projects in several countries;
- Experience in managing human resources based in different geographical areas;
- Experience in volunteer management;
- Mastery of participatory approaches and gender mainstreaming;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French; English is an asset;
- Experience in managing projects funded by Global Affairs Canada, an asset.
- Coordination and participatory management skills;
- Excellent command of project management tools, participatory and gender approaches;
- Organizational skills and initiative; ability to manage deadlines effectively in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively as part of a team in several geographical locations;
- Ability to effectively communicate information, verbally and in writing, to staff;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Respect for confidentiality of information.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Commitment to growth and development;
- Commitment to inclusion, equality, diversity and empowerment;
- Commitment to the rights of women and girls;
- Innovation, creativity, collaboration;
- Resourcefulness, organization, ability to manage time effectively to meet tight deadlines;
- Adaptability and tolerance of uncertain situations;
- Customer and service orientation
- Work an average of 40 hours per week, with the possibility of overtime.
- Travels nationally and internationally;
WHAT WE OFFER
- An equitable, inclusive, collaborative work environment where you have the opportunity to make an impact daily.
- Enthusiastic encouragement to develop both personally and professionally, taking advantage of a range of learning and development opportunities available to our staff.
- A hybrid working model to allow you to enjoy the benefits of both office based and remote working.
- An excellent, competitive benefits plan for you and your dependents.
- Annual cost of living increases, pending Board approval, and salary equity reviews every three years.
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency which has been advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa for over 60 years. Crossroads invests in local partner organizations in 9 countries who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With them, we pilot innovative approaches, and empower women and girls to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year Crossroads engages hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address poverty and inequality. The organization’s 50+ employees are based in Canada, Senegal, Ghana and Tanzania, and Crossroads’ volunteers fulfil over 100 mandates per year.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing international development organization, please send your resume together with a cover letter in a single document (Word or PDF), by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “CPR” in the subject line, no later than October 08, 2023, at 23:00 GMT. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Applicants must be authorized to work in Senegal. Not sure you’ve got everything we’re asking for, but know you can make a big impact? Tell us your story and we’ll be happy to consider your application.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Crossroads please visit our website (https://cintl.org/).