Position: Resource Development Officer, Foundations
Location: Montréal or Toronto
Language: English (French is an asset)
Supervisor: Senior Manager, Philanthropy and Public Engagement
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: Infrequent travel in Canada
Salary Range: $60,452 to $63,475
Closing Date: September 24, 2021
Working as part of the Philanthropy and Public Engagement team, the incumbent establishes new philanthropic partnerships with foundation funders to effectively cultivate lasting relationships with Crossroads International in order to support raising a minimum of $1M annually. Key responsibilities include research and relationship building with prospective donors; research and writing complex and highly customized funding proposals, grant applications and stewardship reports. The incumbent will also be responsible for key database functions for the Philanthropy team.
Together we want to advance the mission of Crossroads by building a community of philanthropic supporters who will empower our ONE WORLD vision where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled. Because of your outstanding leadership qualities, your character as a Gender Equality Champion, your abilities as a compelling storyteller, your experience in facilitating six and seven figure gifts, and your motivation to make a difference, we will together leverage knowledge, expertise, and dollars to create a just and equitable world.
- Manage a portfolio of foundation funders to achieve annual revenue targets. Assume primary responsibility for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of about 50 foundation partners, securing a minimum of $1M in grant donations annually.
- Initiate and coordinate foundation giving program including researching prospects, relationship building with current and new prospects, cultivation and stewardship
- Collaborate with program colleagues to develop and frame proposal ideas that reflect Crossroads’ programmatic priorities and best interests and are competitive according to donor interests and strategies. This includes writing compelling proposals, letters of intent, concept notes and program reports.
- Prepare call reports and update CRM database to reflect fundraising activity, including call outcomes, actions and insights from prospect research
- Research and write donor marketing and stewardship materials including presentations, prospect profiles, articles, acknowledgement letters and web copy
- Provide database support to the Philanthropy and Public Engagement team; including donor record updates after campaigns or mailings; occasional global data imports and exports, and creation of mailing lists for Annual Reports and Impact Reports
- Serve as backup for donor database processes including gift processing, production of tax receipts, monthly gift receipts and annual consolidated tax receipts
- Participate in monthly meetings for the Philanthropy and Public Engagement team and contribute to planning for initiatives to diversify and grow Crossroads Internationals’ donor base and to enhance donor engagement
- Act as the Privacy Officer; guiding privacy policies for the protection of donors’ personal information and monitoring incoming correspondence for privacy related emails
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary degree (BA) or equivalent experience
- Five years’ experience in proposal writing relevant to this position with proven success in securing grants
- Demonstrated success in identifying and securing new philanthropic partnerships
- Experience in foundation prospect research and donor stewardship
- Outstanding writing skills, with experience in reviewing, editing and synthesizing field reports, analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, articulating results and producing high quality donor reports
- Experience designing project budgets and financial reporting
- Superb written and oral communication skills in English (verbal and written fluency required); French considered an asset
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent project management and organizational, analytical and administrative skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required, and experience with relational CRM databases (Raiser’s Edge preferred)
- Ability to work independently and a member of a team in a fast-paced multicultural team environment
- Respect high level of confidentiality
- Experience in international development is a strong asset
Eligibility critieria and essential Conditions
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Work an average of 35 hours per week.
- Travel in Canada may be required.
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on September 24th, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Resource Development Officer, Foundations – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.