Position: Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
Location: Toronto or Montréal
Language: English and French
Supervisor: Program Director
Position Type: Full-time, permanent
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: Infrequent travel in Canada and overseas
Hiring Range: $72,813 to $76,454
Closing Date: October 8, 2021 at 5pm
PURPOSE OF The POSITION
Within the framework of Crossroads’ program goals and strategic directions, the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization (MVM) leads and mentors the Volunteer Mobilization Team to achieve excellence in volunteering primarily for the Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP). The MVM ensures that Crossroads’ volunteer management cycle is responsive, effective, compliant, builds on best international practice and contributes to organizational learning. As a member of the Senior Leadership team, the MVM works collaboratively with managers, directors and Regional/Country Representatives, based in Canada and Africa, to achieve organization-wide goals.
- Contributes to all organizational goals and objectives and ensures team’s contribution
- Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with Crossroads’ mission, strategic priorities, policies, standards and systems
- Works in close coordination with counterparts of the Program department: the Manager, VCP Program Impact based in Canada, and Regional/Country Representatives in Africa
- Works in a collaborative fashion as a member of a variety of cross-functional teams to achieve organizational goals
- Provides leadership to the Volunteer Mobilization Team
- Volunteer Management Cycle (60%)
- Within the framework of Crossroads’ overall program goals and directions, provide leadership in the planning, implementation, evaluation and reporting of Crossroads’ international volunteer management cycle – including recruitment, selection, preparation and training support, recognition and ongoing engagement of North-South, South-South, South-North and E-volunteers
- Provide leadership to learning and knowledge management initiatives in international volunteering, including the ongoing identification of best practices
- Ensure that knowledge and learning on international volunteering are shared and integrated into ongoing programming
- Ensure the development and enhancement of appropriate systems, processes and tools, making use of relevant information and communications technologies, to support Crossroads’ international volunteering programming
- In coordination with the Manager, VCP Program Impact, ensure that all aspects of the volunteer management cycle incorporate strong gender and environmental analyses, as well as human rights based and innovative approaches
- Support the close collaboration of the Volunteer Mobilization Team with other members of the Program Department and teams of other departments, as relevant
- Contribute to the development and monitoring of the VCP Annual Work Plans ensuring a high quality of volunteer mobilization outcomes planning and implementation;
- Contribute to the production of the VCP Annual Reports ensuring a high quality of volunteer mobilization outcomes reporting
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation requirements in relation to volunteer mobilization are met effectively and that reports are timely and of high quality
- Management of the Volunteer Mobilization Team (15%)
- Oversee the volunteer recruitment cycle (selection, preparation and training support, recognition and ongoing engagement)
- Coach, support and supervise members of the Volunteer Mobilization Team
- Create and maintain a team-based approach to volunteer recruitment strategy development and implementation
- Encourage innovation and responsiveness in volunteer recruitment
- Implement Crossroads’ performance review process with members of the VMT
- Volunteer Security Risk Management (10%)
- Ensure the annual revision of country security guides
- Ensure the development and update of country sexual violence resource guides
- Support the development of volunteer safety and security Toolkits (including Volunteer Support Advisors’ Response Guide)
- Receive and review incident reports involving volunteers and support Regional and Country Representatives in Africa in responding and making decisions on security issues
- Financial Management and Operational Planning (10%)
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget for the volunteer component of the VCP and contribute to organizational processes for budget management
- Ensure judicious and effective monitoring and management of the volunteer component of the VCP budget
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual organizational budget
- Ensure compliance with Crossroads’ financial policies and procedures for all expenditures related to volunteers
- In collaboration with members of the VCP programming team and with other members of the senior leadership team, ensure timely development and implementation of an annual operational plan
- In collaboration with other members of the Crossroads Senior Leadership Team, contribute to the development and management of overall organizational goals and objectives
- External Relations (5%)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Crossroads public engagement and communication strategy
- Identify and participate in relevant networks on behalf of Crossroads
- Represent Crossroads at conferences and other fora
- Contribute to Crossroads’ volunteer fundraising strategy
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience, including management experience and supervision of staff
- University degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated people management skills including leadership, coaching and performance management
- In-depth knowledge and experience of international volunteering and/or relevant experience in adult education or human resource management
- Overseas work experience and knowledge of best practices in international volunteering preferred
- Strong training and facilitation skills
- Previous experience working with volunteers; experience as a volunteer an asset
- Familiarity with on-line and distance education and learning an asset
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Excellent communication skills including report writing
- Excited about change, growth, learning and development
- Experience in developmental evaluation an asset
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a collaborative working style and experience in leading team-based initiatives
- Experience working in a diverse work environment and on cross-functional teams
- Ability to communicate in English and French is essential
Eligibility critieria and essential Conditions
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Work an average of 35 hours per week.
- Ability to travel overseas and in Canada and be away from home frequently for short periods.
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on October 8, 2021 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Manager, Volunteer Mobilization – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.