Position: Bilingual Volunteer Engagement Officer
Location: Toronto or Montréal
Language: English and French
Supervisor: Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: This position may include travel between the Toronto and Montréal offices
Hiring Range: $57,037 to $66,467
Closing Date: 5pm on September 29, 2020
The Volunteer Engagement Officer is an integral part of the Volunteer Mobilization Team with a direct connection to the External Relations department. The Officer is the key strategist designing and implementing a program to engage returned volunteers in advancing gender equality. Crossroads is seeking a creative, tech savvy self-starter with experience hands on experience mobilizing people to take action. Reporting to the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization, the position provides cross-functional support across the organization to mobilize and engage Crossroads’ stakeholders in public engagement initiatives, specifically initiatives related to gender equality and international cooperation. Fluency in English and French is required. This role will be pivotal in supporting returning and past volunteers to engage Canadians in a movement to reduce poverty and advance equality for women and girls in some of the world’s poorest countries.
Key target audiences include retuning overseas volunteers, influential Canadian women leaders and Canadian program partners. The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of processes, approaches and systems to facilitate the engagement of stakeholder groups, such as Canadian and international volunteers, Canadian partner organizations, and Crossroads’ staff and Board as Gender Equality Champions and to undertake public engagement activities to ensure that Crossroads is at the forefront of international volunteering. As a member of the Volunteer Mobilization Team and working in close collaboration with the External Relations department, they will manage the development and roll-out of an alumni engagement strategy to advance gender equality, including an annual conference. Notably, they will lead the development and maintenance of an on-line tool kit of public engagement activities differentiated across stakeholder groups. This position has key responsibilities for cross-cutting and multidirectional responsibilities linked to quality assurance, improved services and innovation to help reinforce Crossroads’ capacity to support volunteers, staff, and partners. As a key collaborator to the External Relations department, they will ensure that all volunteers receive public engagement training and on-going support prior to, during and post-mandate, plus that their public engagement activities are tracked.
The following main responsibilities are indicative only and may change over time:
- Public Engagement Strategy and Tools (40%)
- Lead the development of and update the Alumni Volunteer Engagement Strategy with a key focus on advancing gender equality involving key organizational stakeholders
- Lead the development of and maintain the Gender Equality Engagement online tool kit
2. Annual Public Conference (25%)
- Design and organize an annual conference focused on Gender Equality and Poverty Reduction initiatives ensuring participation across stakeholder groups
3. Support to Public Engagement Initiatives (30%)
- Lead in the strengthening of public engagement training tools and approaches for stakeholders, including Canadian and international volunteers, Canadian partner organizations, and Crossroads’ staff and Board
- Lead in the strengthening and development of on-going support processes for stakeholders engaged in public engagement initiatives, particularly for volunteers prior to, during and post mandate
- Support in the development of a Volunteer Engagement Guide for Crossroads’ staff, as well as partner organizations
- Establish systematic tracking of alumni volunteer retention and their public engagement initiatives
4. Perform Other Duties as Required (5%)
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans, including promoting living Crossroads’ organizational values
Contribute to the ongoing emphasis of process improvements, including current projects within the External Relations Team and the Volunteer Mobilization Team
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications;
- Minimum of three (3) years alumni, volunteer or public engagement experience;
- Hands-on experience in developing and implementing public engagement strategies and campaigns;
- Experience in developing and maintain public engagement tools and resources
- Experience with conference and/or event planning and implementation;
- Experience providing coaching and training volunteers;
- Knowledge and understanding of public engagement best practices for various stakeholder groups, with volunteers a strong asset;
- Knowledge and understanding of gender equity work;
- Previous experience within a not-for-profit environment is an asset;
- Previous experience in international development and/or volunteer organizations preferred
- Proficiency in Office 365, WordPress, CMS, HTML, knowledge of Adobe creative suite required, and knowledge of Google Analytics, Adwords, video, design and editing software is an asset.
- Bilingualism (French and English) required
- Commitment to growth and development
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, diversity, and empowerment
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Innovation, creativity, collaboration
- Organized self-starter, ability to manage competing deadlines in an effective manner to meet tight deadlines
- Must be able work independently and effectively collaborate within a team across multiple geographic locations
- Adaptive and tolerant to uncertainty
- Client- and service-oriented
- Strong organizational, administrative, communication & interpersonal skills
- To work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Infrequent travel in Canada may be required
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one Word or .pdf document by 5pm on September 29, 2020 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Volunteer Engagement Officer (English/French) – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.