Position: External Relations Intern
Language: English and French
Supervisor: Senior Manager, Philanthropy and Public Engagement
Position Type: Contract, full-time (35 hours/week for 8 weeks: with flexibility for some part-time work)
Job Requirement: Must be eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program
Hiring Salary: $17/hour
Closing Date: 5pm on July 13, 2021
POSITION and general context
The External Relations Intern will support Crossroad’s efforts to engage Canadians in advancing equality for women and girls. This position will support multiple team members including the resource development officers and the public engagement team. The intern will work with the resource development officers on prospect research, event support, database management, and stakeholder communications. The position will also support the public engagement officers in social media communications, website updates, and communications content.
In April 2020, Crossroads launched the 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP). The 2020-2027 VCP includes a significant increase in public engagement to provide awareness of issues to the Canadian public and fundraising needs to support our program partners. The External Relations Intern will support the team to engage Canadians and potential donors to support Crossroads work globally.
- Supporting volunteer recruitment
- Development and execution of events (i.e., the International Day of the Girl Breakfast)
- Stakeholder communications
- Database support and data maintenance
- Website and social media content creation/updates
- Digital skills: computer skills and experience utilizing a CRM platform is an asset
- Excellent command of English and French
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications (i.e., SharePoint, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Customer service skills and ability to communicate with external stakeholders
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing social media content are assets
- This position is specifically for a candidate who identifies as one or more of the following: women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), immigrant/refugee youth, aboriginal youth, visible minority/racialized youth, LGBTQ2 youth, disabled youth, or francophone youth living in Ontario.
- Strong desire to learn skills and platforms
- Ability to work remotely due to the current pandemic restrictions
- Autonomy, initiative, versatility, and resourcefulness
- Knowledge or interest in learning about women’s rights in sub-Saharan Africa
Eligibility critieria and essential Conditions
- As the funding for this position comes from Service Canada’s 2021 Canada Summer Jobs program, applicants MUST meet specific criteria. Applicants who do not meet all of the eligibility criteria listed below should not apply. The criteria include being:
- A citizen of Canada, OR a permanent resident, OR a person who has been granted refugee protection under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Please note that international students are not eligible.); AND
- Between the ages of 15 and 30, inclusive.
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Work an average of 35 hours per week, and
- Be located in Toronto.
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on July 13, 2021 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “External Relations Intern – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.