ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
Project description and context:
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
Project description and context:
The goal of this program is to eradicate Gender-Based Violence by implementing Girl Empowerment Clubs within schools as an extracurricular activity. These clubs are a safe space for the Girl Child to discuss topics often regarded as a taboo in Tanzanian society, which further increases acts of GBV due to a lack of knowledge.
In 2017, the Government of Tanzania’s response to the GBV issue was to pass a policy and having an action plan in place, that is the National Plan of Action to End Violence Against Women and Children in Tanzania. This is in perfect alignment with the Girls Empowerment Program; which has the objective to diminish crime against the girl child and women. Additional advances have been made to protect the girl child and eliminate gender based violence. The National Action plan call for the elimination of all forms of oppressive cultural practices against girls including forced marriages, FGM and early pregnancies which the project is also focusing at.
Furthermore, in 2019, Rebecca Gyumi, a legal practitioner and advocate for the girl child, was able to win her case to eliminate Section 13 of the Law of Marriage Act, which legalized child marriage for the girl child at age 16; versus boys at 18. The GEP in timely in that it will contribute to governmental efforts and show our support to the people of Tanzania.
The Girls Empowerment Program targets the Girl Child; educating her on her rights as relating to gender based violence, sexual health and reproductive right Knowledge is power and by educating and empowering the Girl Child, we stand a better chance at eliminating harmful social beliefs. Through certain club activities, boys would also have the opportunity to be educated on positive masculinity, deconstructing gender norms, and recognizing and straying away from any form of GBV.
- To ensure funds are secured from local and international development partners
- To write and share at least four proposals.
- Capacity building provided to KWIECO’s project team on resource mobilization, for GEP documenting lessons and best practices.
- best practices and lessons collected and shared to KWIECO and CI
- KWIECO’s activities are linked to different partners aiming for resource mobilizations
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Degree in social sciences
- Resource mobilization, project planning and management of community development projects.
- Collection of best practices and leaning on children right’s protection and promotion in Africa
Other skill set/knowledge:
- Strong ability to impart knowledge and skills on fundraising
- Ability to scan donor landscape, identify opportunities and risks
- Proven experience writing winning proposals
- Knowledge or experience in International development
- Strong experience in gender equality programming
- Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada CURRENTLY in the country of the mandate.
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- The volunteer needs to bring their own computer
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team.
- Daily living allowance (amount varies depending on the country of assignment)
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-assignment online training.
To apply for this position, we kindly ask that you fill out Crossroads’ online application form.
Please contact our Volunteer mobilisation team if you have any question: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.