***IMPORTANT ELIGIBILTY CRITERIA:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian international cooperation organization, advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa where women and girls face great adversity: unequal access to resources and economic opportunities, gender-based violence and limited participation in political and public life. Crossroads International works in partnership with local organizations in 9 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, to draw on the skills, expertise, and resources, from the North and the South, required to enable people, particularly women and girls, to overcome poverty and defend their rights.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
Project description and context:
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
The Project aims to reduce gender inequalities and alleviate poverty by addressing gender-based violence, inequalities in access to resources and economic opportunities, and barriers in exercising strategic forms of choice, voice, and influence, which are the culmination of unequal and discriminatory power relations entrenched in society. Crossroads will address the root causes of gender-based inequalities and discrimination through a multidimensional holistic approach in the VCP that will, 1) promote women’s rights; 2) advance access to justice and the reduction of gender-based violence (GBV), 3) promote equal representation of women and men, and 4) target inequalities that limit women’s ability to participate in and benefit from economic activities. Crossroads applies a rights-based approach to programming, which extends to promoting, protecting, and defending women’s rights, including strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organizations to participate in and influence policy formulation and hold accountable those who have a duty to act.
Description of the partner
Crossroads collaborates with NORSAAC whose mission is to work with networks of women, youth, children, excluded groups, and like-minded organisations to strengthen their agency to claim and exercise their rights. This volunteer mandate is needed because research is a critical component of NORSAAC’s work as it forms the basis for advocacy both at the behavioral and policy advocacy levels.
Description the volunteer mandate
The volunteer we are looking for should posses a strategic approach to the effective and efficient management of people in Norsaac to aid a competitive advantage. It is designed to maximize employee performance in service of an employer’s strategic objectives. Human resource management is primarily concerned with the management of people within organizations, focusing on policies and systems. This role is to contribute to Norsaac Strategic Objective 4: “NORSAAC is visible and recognized as a leading actor on women, children and youth in Ghana”.
- Oversee employee-benefits design
- Employee recruitment,
- Training and development,
- Performance appraisal
- Reward management, such as managing pay and employee-benefits systems.
- Concerned with organizational change and industrial relations.
- Balancing of organizational practices with requirements arising from collective bargaining and governmental laws.
- Develop or update the Human Resource Policy Manual
- Coordinate and facilitate Human Resource Information System and ensure availability of data for decision making
- Ensure that all staff information is properly kept, updated and confidentiality is maintained.
- Regularly check staff files to ensure that the following are well recorded: leave records, personnel record cards, personal files, monthly statistical reports, staff complement, staff turnover, absenteeism, sick leave etc
- Coordinate the notification of decisions in case of change such as: transfer, appointment, promotion, salary increase etc
- Provide guidance to management on labour issues and changes in statutory requirements.
- Arrange Exit Interviews for staff that resign and advise line management on the exit interview the outcome.
- Benefit & Compensation
- To provide leadership to payroll and benefits administration, review of staff salaries and job grade, periodic staff salary surveys to ensure competitive compensation and benefit plans
- Ensure follow up of staff salary benefits and benefits payment within the country.
- Ensure follow up of tax payment in due time and in compliance with law.
- Performance Management & Staff Development
- Support Managers on performance management orientation
- Monitors goals set by different sectors
- Assists supervisors in measuring performance improvement.
- Ensure staff appraisal are carried out in a timely manner
- To assist management in developing training programs and packages to meet the needs, career development plans and succession plans for staff.
- Ensure each staff has an approved job description in his file.
- Staff Wellbeing
- Provide technical support on staff welfare
- Recommend to P&C Director and any need on staff movement in term of staff well-being.
- To support the Senior Management in any change initiative and to create and maintain a good working environment
- Human Resource Systems
- To ensure that accurate and up-to-date records are kept of all HR related information and design systems which support this
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree (or the equivalent work experience)
- Previous experience in Human Resources
- Understanding of Ghanaian Employment Law
- Previous experience in Human Resource Management
- Training experience
- Demonstrate ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Demonstrate ability to interact with individuals of different cultures.
- Professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of social impact making and gender equality
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience in recruitment & Staff Selection
- ***IMPORTANT: Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Willing to conduct fundraising and public engagement activities before, during and after the placement
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- The volunteer needs to bring their own computer.
- The volunteer must be available to attend an online pre-departure trainings: May 25th to June 1st.
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads’ experience includes the following:
- Daily living allowance (depending of the country of assignment)
- Plane ticket and local transport
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-assignment online training.
Crossroads International is committed to addressing gender-based violence by supporting the innovative work our partner organizations in ending violence against women and girls.
To apply for this position, we kindly ask that you fill out Crossroads’ online application form.
Please contact our volunteer mobilization team if you have any question: email@example.com
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.