Be living currently in Ghana and meet one of the following criteria:
- a) Be a citizen of an African country other than the country where volunteer mandate will take place (for example a Nigerian living in Ghana could apply for a volunteer mandate in Ghana) OR:
- b) Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian international cooperation organization, advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa where women and girls face great adversity: unequal access to resources and economic opportunities, gender-based violence and limited participation in political and public life. Crossroads International works in partnership with local organizations in 9 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, in order to draw on the skills, expertise and resources, from the North and the South, required to enable people, particularly women and girls, to overcome poverty and defend their rights.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
Project description and context:
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
The Project aims to reduce gender inequalities and alleviate poverty by addressing gender-based violence, inequalities in access to resources and economic opportunities, and barriers in exercising strategic forms of choice, voice and influence, which are the culmination of unequal and discriminatory power relations entrenched in society. Crossroads will address the root causes of gender-based inequalities and discrimination through a multidimensional holistic approach in the VCP that will, 1) promote women’s rights; 2) advance access to justice and the reduction of gender-based violence (GBV), 3) promote equal representation of women and men, and 4) target inequalities that limit women’s ability to participate in and benefit from economic activities.. Crossroads applies a rights-based approach to programming, which extends to promoting, protecting and defending women’s rights, including strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organizations to participate in and influence policy formulation and hold accountable those who have a duty to act.
Description of the partner
Crossroads collaborates with Norsaac whose mission is to work with networks of women, youth, children, excluded groups, and like-minded organisations to strengthen their agency to claim and exercise their rights. This volunteer mandate is needed because research is a critical component of Norsaac’s work as it forms the basis for advocacy both at the behavioral and policy advocacy levels.
Description the volunteer mandate
The volunteer we are looking for should participate with support in research activities, which forms a critical component of Norsaac’s programming. However, since the establishment of the Research Unit in 2015, challenges of funding and personnel has stifled the growth of the unit. With the Covid19 defined new normal of online engagements, the unit is in urgent need of innovative tools and skill set to fully utilise virtual based tools to complement the organizations M&E work. This role is to contribute to Norsaac Strategic Objective 4: “NORSAAC is visible and recognized as a leading actor on women, children and youth in Ghana”.
- Strengthen Norsaac capacity in online research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Propel and design tools to sustain Norsaac’s use of online medium for research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Build the capacity of the Research and Program Quality Team on digital research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Lead the development of digital ‘how-to’ guides and training sessions for staff, partners, and beneficiaries in the areas of research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Build libraries of existing, high quality resources and opportunities within the online atmosphere for research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Organize and engage in creative, knowledge sharing and skill building activities and resources, which contribute to the Community of Practice and overall culture of learning
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree (or the equivalent work experience)
- Previous experience in digital research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Minimum of entry level technical research skills i.e. has conducted research and written reports and presentations in the past
- Previous experience in data visualization is considered an asset
- Training experience
- Demonstrate ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Demonstrate ability to interact with individuals of different cultures.
- Professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of social impact making and gender equality
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- ***IMPORTANT : Be living currently in Ghana and meet one of the following criteria:
- a) Be a citizen of an African country other than the country where volunteer mandate will take place (for example a Kenyan living in Ghana could apply for a volunteer mandate in Ghana) OR:
- b) Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- The volunteer needs to bring their own computer
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads’ experience includes the following:
- Monthly living living allowance of approximately 2100 $CAD
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-assignment online training.
Crossroads International is committed to addressing gender-based violence by supporting the innovative work our partner organizations in ending violence against women and girls.
To apply for this position, please send motivation letter and resume to email@example.com
Email subject to include position and country of application.
Please contact our Volunteer mobilization team if you have any question: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.