***IMPORTANT ELIGIBILTY CRITERIA:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian international cooperation organization, advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa where women and girls face great adversity: unequal access to resources and economic opportunities, gender-based violence and limited participation in political and public life. Crossroads International works in partnership with local organizations in 9 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, to draw on the skills, expertise, and resources, from the North and the South, required to enable people, particularly women and girls, to overcome poverty and defend their rights.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
Project description and context:
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
The Project aims to reduce gender inequalities and alleviate poverty by addressing gender-based violence, inequalities in access to resources and economic opportunities, and barriers in exercising strategic forms of choice, voice, and influence, which are the culmination of unequal and discriminatory power relations entrenched in society. Crossroads will address the root causes of gender-based inequalities and discrimination through a multidimensional holistic approach in the VCP that will, 1) promote women’s rights; 2) advance access to justice and the reduction of gender-based violence (GBV), 3) promote equal representation of women and men, and 4) target inequalities that limit women’s ability to participate in and benefit from economic activities. Crossroads applies a rights-based approach to programming, which extends to promoting, protecting, and defending women’s rights, including strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organizations to participate in and influence policy formulation and hold accountable those who have a duty to act.
Description of Partner
Solidaridad Network is an international solution-oriented civil society organization working through eight regional expertise centers to transform markets to make them more sustainable and inclusive. Our eight regional expertise centers include Asia, Eastern and Central Africa, Europe, Latin America, North America, Southern Africa, South America, West Africa and our global Secretariat in the Netherlands.
Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa, one of the regional centers, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices and programs in Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda. We bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all.
Solidaridad Uganda is looking for a volunteer to strengthen the gender and social inclusion portfolio for Solidaridad Uganda office through staff capacity building, institutional gender mainstreaming, business development and gender transformative programming.
- Strengthen staff capacity for gender transformative programming
- Build staff capacity to develop learning trajectories in gender and social inclusion.
- Support Country staff in development of a gender and social inclusion strategy
- Increase visibility of Gender and social inclusion learning
- Support staff to develop a monitoring framework for gender specific indicators for projects
- Conduct gender analysis/audit
- Contribute to tools and methodologies for overall strategic M&E framework
- Review fundraising and business development frameworks and support in creating a more gender-inclusive approach to fundraising to have more success in building gender-focused partnerships.
- Support staff in the development of high-quality concepts and proposals that attract funding for gender and inclusion initiatives
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Undergraduate University Degree or equivalent
- Master’s University Degree (or equivalent)
- Minimum academic postgraduate qualification in Gender Studies or social sciences or related fields of study.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Demonstrates an understanding of the gender technical aspects in relation to the assignment
- Experience in development work in gender, social inclusion and women empowerment is a plus
- Prior experience integrating gender methodologies in different commodities value chains, in agriculture or livelihoods
- Knowledge of and experience working in the East African region is an asset
- Knowledge of sustainable development and climate related development interventions is an asset
***IMPORTANT: Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Willing to conduct fundraising and public engagement activities before, during and after the placement
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)The volunteer needs to bring their own computer.
- The volunteer must be available to attend an online pre-departure trainings: 25 May 2022
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads’ experience includes the following:
- Daily living allowance (depending of the country of assignment)
- Plane ticket and local transport
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-assignment online training.
Crossroads International is committed to addressing gender-based violence by supporting the innovative work our partner organizations in ending violence against women and girls.
To apply for this position, we kindly ask that you fill out Crossroads’ online application form.
or , please send motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating mandate and country in the subject line.
Please contact our volunteer mobilization team if you have any question: email@example.com
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.