***IMPORTANT Criteria : Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian international cooperation organization, advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa where women and girls face great adversity: unequal access to resources and economic opportunities, gender-based violence and limited participation in political and public life. Crossroads International works in partnership with local organizations in 9 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, in order to draw on the skills, expertise and resources, from the North and the South, required to enable people, particularly women and girls, to overcome poverty and defend their rights.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
Project description and context:
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
The Project aims to reduce gender inequalities and alleviate poverty by addressing gender-based violence, inequalities in access to resources and economic opportunities, and barriers in exercising strategic forms of choice, voice, and influence, which are the culmination of unequal and discriminatory power relations entrenched in society. Crossroads will address the root causes of gender-based inequalities and discrimination through a multidimensional holistic approach in the VCP that will, 1) promote women’s rights; 2) advance access to justice and the reduction of gender-based violence (GBV), 3) promote equal representation of women and men, and 4) target inequalities that limit women’s ability to participate in and benefit from economic activities. Crossroads applies a rights-based approach to programming, which extends to promoting, protecting, and defending women’s rights, including strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organizations to participate in and influence policy formulation and hold accountable those who have a duty to act.
ACFODE is a national women’s organisation whose vision is a just society where gender equality is a reality and with a mission to empower women and girls and to influence policies and legislation for gender equality in Uganda. For the last three decades since inception, ACFODE has been advocating for gender equality though a number of interventions including challenging social and gender norms that perpetuate gender inequalities including GBV, Violence against women and girls, leadership development, economic empowerment of women and youth empowerment.
Though ACFODE is an advocacy organisation, there is need for capacity building and support to be more effective in advocacy at different levels national, regional and global level. ACFODE needs to re- brand for increased visibility and marketability of her work so as to attract more partners locally and globally. Therefore, ACFODE is interested in a Communications and Advocacy Advisor that is agile, good with online communication and advocacy strategies and passionate about gender equality and women’s rights.
- Review and Improve communication strategy.
- Identify different relevant platforms, networks and partnerships at national, regional and international to advance ACFODE’s work
- Support ACFODE to periodically update the website, track usage and report accordingly.
- Support the development and production of timely, accurate and high-quality information and advocacy materials such as press releases, media advisories, news briefs, articles, fact sheets and stories of change
- Develop a compendium of human-interest stories, key media coverage, reports, key messages and share with media and key influencers locally and globally
- Identify and develop collegial connections with media representatives and direct their interests to ACFODE accomplishments in Uganda and beyond
- Monitor and flag disinformation and misinformation in the public domain on women’s rights and gender equality for ACFODes attention
- Initiate or link ACFODE to relevant regional, continental or global gender equality advocacy campaigns
- Support the development of an advocacy strategy
- -Support is provided to ACFODE to increase her visibility through innovative branding and marketing strategies
- Contribute to online resource mobilisation initiatives such as donor conferences and crowd funding among others
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Master’s University Degree (or equivalent) in Mass Communication, journalism, public relations , international relations or any related discipline
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing communication and/or advocacy plans.
- Experience in conceptualising, producing, and managing the production of communication and advocacy materials such as press releases, media advisories, blogs, talking points, photos, videos, podcasts, infographics, virtual events, videos, animations and social media.
- Experience with managing websites and developing social media strategy is desirable.
- Experience in managing launch events and conferences – including donor and fundraising is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge/skills and/or experience in training and facilitation is considered an asset.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Knowledge and experience of programs in advancing women’s equality and economic autonomy.
- Demonstrated experience and/or training in international cooperation, preferably in a non-profit environmental at the local level is an asset.
- Excellent ability to work autonomously and willingness to take initiative.
- Capacity to work collaboratively with a team, in person and from a distance.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to support volunteers, including mentorship and counselling.
- Exceptional intercultural competencies and attitudes, including patience and respect for local expertise and work culture and intercultural communication.
- Ability to cope with cultural isolation and a different standard of living.
- ***IMPORTANT: Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- The volunteer needs to bring their own computer
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads’ experience includes the following:
- Monthly living living allowance
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-assignment online training.
Crossroads International is committed to addressing gender-based violence by supporting the innovative work our partner organizations in ending violence against women and girls.
To apply for this position, please send motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact our volunteer mobilization team if you have any question: email@example.com
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.