Crossroads International is an international development organization that is working towards reducing poverty and increasing women’s rights around the world. Working with local partners in 28 projects, in eight countries and supported by hundreds of volunteers each year, Crossroads leverages expertise and resources, North and South, required to help people overcome poverty and assert their human rights.
Crossroads and Gone NAFGEM have recently signed a partnership since 2019.
The Network Against Female Genital Mutilation (NAFGEM) is an association of individuals, groups, institutions and other NGOs, dedicated to ending female genital mutilation and other harmful traditional practices towards women in Tanzania. NAFEGEM’s main focus is to raise awareness among grass-root communities where these customs are still being practiced through educational seminars, training workshops and awareness campaigns at various community events.
Mandate historical context
In line with the partnership, NAFGEM is requesting the support of a Program Advisor, Women’s Economic Empowerment for reducing GBV, to undertake this mandate to strengthen the ability of girls and women victims of gender-based violence to sustain their livelihood. NAFGEM provides skills training and business development opportunity to the girls, but challenges abound around product quality, market linkages and business development education and training.
- Identify women groups among selected for training on business development, entrepreneurship for economic empowerment
- Review product quality, quality of material, work process and practices, production capability and provide recommendation for improvements
- Initiate process for regional and international certifications such as Fair-Trade Africa and Fair Trade International
- Identify local partners for technical capacity building
- Conduct market surveys in and out of the country to define market opportunities
- Conduct training on quality control and product development
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Grassroots business development and management,
- Vocational skills training especially in beads jewelry, batik, tailoring, etc.
- Local and international marketing
- Designing vocational training curriculums
Read and commit to the CCIC Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct https://ccic.ca/news/ccic-leaders-pledge-on-preventing-and-addressing-sexual-misconduct/
Other skill set/knowledge:
- Passion for gender equity
- Implementing adult literacy programmes
- Adaptability and flexibility, including ability to work with diverse cultures
Language : English/Swahili
- Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Must be 19 years and older
- Willing to conduct fundraising and public engagement activities before, during and after the placement
- Share the commitment of preventing and addressing sexual misconduct. https://ccic.ca/news/ccic-leaders-pledge-on-preventing-and-addressing-sexual-misconduct/
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- The volunteer needs to bring their own computer
- The volunteer must be available to attend the following predeparture training : July 30-August 1st 2019
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads’ experience includes the following:
- Daily living allowance (amount varies depending on the country of assignment)
- Plane ticket and local transport
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-departure training and re-orientation upon return
“Crossroads International is committed to addressing gender-based violence by supporting the innovative work our partner organizations in ending violence against women and girls. To find out more, please visit:
To apply for this position, we kindly ask that you fill out Crossroads’ online application form.
PLEASE NOTE: We are experiencing some technical issues with the on-line submission, which our IT department is working to resolve, however if you receive an error message when you submit your application , please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . We apologize for any inconvenience.
Please contact our Program officer – Volunteering if you have any question: email@example.com
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.