Position: Volunteer Mobilization Officer
Location: Montréal or Toronto
Supervisor: Program Manager – Volunteer Mobilization
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Language: Bilingual – English and French
Travel: Infrequent travel within Canada
Salary Range: $58,178 to $61,087
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Closing Date: January 19 , 2022 at 5pm
POSITION Overview and general context:
As a member of the Volunteer Mobilization team and under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Program Officer contributes to the achievement of Crossroads’ goal of excellence in international volunteering – including the recruitment, selection, training, support, and recognition of international volunteers in Canada and around the world. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to organizational learning to ensure that Crossroads’ work in the field of volunteering is flexible and effective.
- Volunteer Recruitment & Selection (70%)
- Develop and implement targeted Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) volunteer recruitment strategies based on recruitment and programmatic annual objectives;
- Develop mapping of potential marketplace and networks to support the recruitment process;
- Develop relationships with organizations, businesses and institutions for the recruitment of qualified volunteers in-line with programmatic needs;
- Liaise with other relevant organizations including, sector specific networks, businesses, schools, colleges and universities to develop effective partnerships for the recruitment of VCP volunteers;
- Liaise with Sectoral Program Officers to ensure that all published VCP mandates are clear and designed to attract Canadian volunteers while reflecting the needs of the partner organizations;
- Lead the selection of qualified VCP North-South, South-South and Remote volunteers, in coordination with Sectoral Program Officers and partner organizations;
- Facilitate pre- and post-mandate steps in the VCP Volunteer Cycle, including providing guidance to volunteers regarding conditions and their responsibilities.
2. Volunteer Program (20%)
- Participate in updating and maintaining information in the Volunteer Tracking System (VTS) and SharePoint so that volunteer records are accurate and the appropriate output figures are up to date;
- Lead in the preparation, delivery and on-going strengthening of volunteer pre- departure training, individual and group debriefing for the VCP and Québec sans frontières (QSF) program;
- Lead in the strengthening and development of Volunteer Management tools;
- Facilitate regular information-sharing meetings with the Sectoral Program Officers, Volunteer Support Advisors and Project Administrative staff;
- Promote excellence and best practices in volunteering within Crossroads International to continue building a reputation for excellence in volunteer recruitment and retention;
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
3.External Relations (10%)
- Consistently apply Crossroads’ brand and key messages;
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team members to promote volunteer opportunities;
- Participate in relevant networks on behalf of Crossroads;
- Represent Crossroads at conferences and other fora.
education, QUALIFICATIONS and experience
- Minimum two (2) years related work experience;
- University degree or equivalent in a related field;
- In-depth knowledge and experience of international volunteering and/or relevant experience in adult education or human resource management;
- Overseas work experience and knowledge of successful practices in international volunteering preferred;
- Previous experience working with Volunteer Cooperation Programs funded byGlobal Affairs Canada (GAC) or with QSF and the Ministry of International Relations and La Francophonie;
- Strong training and facilitation skills;
- Previous experience selecting, recruiting and supporting volunteers;
- Familiarity with online and distance education and learning an asset;
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Capacity to work collaboratively and in a team;
- Capacity to work nights and weekends when needed;
- Fluency in both English and French is essential.
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Work an average of 35 hours per week.
- Ability to travel overseas and in Canada and be away from home frequently for short periods.
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on January 19th, 2022 by e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must include “Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.