Applications for this position are closed.
Position: Senior Financial Analyst
Location: Montréal or Toronto
Supervisor: Director, Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Language: English and French
Travel: Infrequent travel within and outside of Canada
Hiring Range: $70,720 to $74,256
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Closing Date:July 4th, 2022 at 5pm
The Senior Financial Analyst is a leader in the Finance and Administration team. The incumbent provides value-add to the organization through leading the full-cycle financial reporting process. S/he is responsible for ensuring and maintaining the integrity of the financial information provided to internal and external stakeholders. The Senior Financial Analyst plays a pivotal role in proactively identifying financial and operational weaknesses and/or deficiencies, providing innovative solutions that leverage technology to mitigate risks and transform the way we work. The incumbent is resourceful and embodies a growth mindset. S/he provides mentorship to the Accounting Officer and Project Financial Analyst and is seen as a financial expert amongst Canadian and African finance counterparts.
- Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with the organization’s mission, values, policies and procedures, standards and systems
- Works in partnership with other members of the program, volunteer, philanthropy and public engagement teams to provide financial insight and analysis
- Works in close collaboration with members of the finance and administrative team and cross-functional teams to achieve organizational goals as set forth in the strategic and operational plans
1. Financial Management (20%)
- Provides direct support to budget holders in the annual budget process, including the development of and training on budgeting tools
- Collects and consolidates budget inputs providing recommendations to the Director, Finance and Administration that support the achievement of financial sustainability
- Leads quarterly forecasting process with budget holders proactively identifying potential opportunities and risks
- Provides accurate, timely and reliable financial information to budget holders to support financial analysis and decision making
2. Financial Reporting (30%)
- Manages the internal monthly financial closing process, including production and distribution of reports within 10 business days of month-end
- Oversees the monthly and year-end closing tasks, including timeliness and accuracy of financial statement supporting schedules and balance sheet account reconciliations
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Develops streamlined value-driven, real-time financial reporting for the National Directors and Board
- Provides oversight on the financial status of projects in consultation with the program team including monitoring the timeliness and status of financial reports and escalating to the Director, Finance and Administration as appropriate
- Liaises with the external auditors as part of the year-end financial statement audit process, in coordination with internal stakeholders
3. Treasury (5%)
- Reviews and analyzes operating cash requirements, ensuring short-term cashflow needs are met by managing the cash and short-term investment positions
- Provides recommendations for short-term investment strategies based on cashflow needs
4. Compliance (20%)
- Safeguards financial assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Leads the development and execution of the internal audit framework across all offices, encompassing both internal and external compliance requirements
- Communicates and enforces internal and external financial policies and procedures to all departments providing training to department staff, as required
- Maintains compliance with federal and provincial legislation in Canada
- Proactively identifies financial and operational risks recommending actionable risk mitigation strategies
5. Business Process Enhancement (10%)
- Supports the Director, Finance and Administration in business process mapping to identify opportunities and implement strategies to enhance efficiencies
- Actively engages in professional development activities and networking opportunities to expand learning related to emerging technologies that could be leveraged to transform business processes
- Supports, and where appropriate, leads financial systems implementations and enhancements
6. Leadership and Mentorship (10%)
- Provides functional guidance and direction to staff engaged in the financial accounting and reporting processes
- Reviews financial inputs, and provides leadership and guidance to support the integrity of financial data
- Supports the growth and development of the Accounting Officer and Project Financial Analyst through capacity building and mentorship
- Represents the Finance and Administration department in organization-wide initiatives through committee participation
- Fosters a culture of curiosity and learning amongst all members of Finance, in Canada and internationally
7. Special Projects and Other Initiatives (5%)
- Supports organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans
- Other duties, as required
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- CPA or five (5) years equivalent experience in progressive full-cycle Canadian not-for-profit financial reporting and accounting
- Strong foundation in understanding and applying Canadian General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); experience with Global Affairs Canada is an asset
- Experience in consolidating and analyzing complex financial data
- Proven excellence in leading change in financial systems, policies and processes
- Demonstrated success in leveraging technology to optimize processes
- Strong understanding and application of risk identification and mitigation strategies
- Experience working with Financial Edge is an asset
- Bilingualism (French and English) is a strong asset
- Commitment to growth, development and personal leadership
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, women’s rights, diversity and empowerment
- Initiative, autonomy and ability to priorities actions to create maximum results
- Innovative thinking, drive to produce results and seek solutions
- Openness to and passion for change
- Client, service, and team orientation
- Strong organizational, communication & interpersonal skills
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- A commitment to preventing, mitigating and responding to sexual violence,
- A commitment to gender equality, and
- A commitment to anti-racism.
- To work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Infrequent travel in Canada and overseas may be required
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) by 5pm on July 4th, 2022 by e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must include “Senior Financial Analyst – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.