Applications for this position have been closed. Thank you for your interest!
Position: Recruitment and Career Advancement Officer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Language: English, Swahili and local languages an asset
Supervisor: Project Manager, SSC
Position Type: Full-Time, 1-year contract with possibility of renewal
Travel: Local Travel
Job Requirement: Must be eligible to work in Uganda
Closure Date: October 15, 2023, 23:59 GMT
Crossroads International is seeking a dynamic, collaborative Recruitment and Career Advancement Officer for the exciting inception of the Mastercard Scholars for Social Change (SSC) Program in Uganda. Under the supervision of the SSC Project Manager, the Recruitment and Career Advancement Officer plays a strategic role in the professional development of the Scholars for Social Change (SSC) fellows. The incumbent is committed to achieving a high level of performance and to providing day-to-day expertise and human resource (HR) support to the project, in support of the project’s mission, vision and objectives. Their role includes liaising with all partners to coordinate reception of placement descriptions, ensuring advertisement of placement opportunities, leading the candidate selection process with partners, supporting scholars’ journeys with mentoring, training and innovative ongoing individual supports. The ideal candidate is passionate about the rights of women and girls, is committed to high performance and sharing their expertise to support the mission, vision and results of the project and is captivated by the opportunity to make change for youth.
The Scholars for Social Change Program aims to leverage on-the-job training to match Mastercard scholars with career pathways and fellowship opportunities that leverage their transformative leadership as well as technical skills. The on-the-job training, along with preplacement and postplacement components of the fellowship program, will support the development of practical skills to adequately equip scholars to seek employment and advocate for gender equity as well as teaching them skills to develop business relationships and maintain professional development skills.
The SSC program, funded by Mastercard Foundation, will provide 50 graduate alumni of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars program (70% young women), between 22 and 35 years of age, with two-year fellowship opportunities primarily in Uganda, linked to their field of study and experience within Crossroads’ deep-rooted network of local development partners.
The ideal candidate will be personally aligned with Crossroads’ vision of ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE AN IMPACT
- Assess the human resource needs of partner organizations
- Work with partners to draw up job descriptions
- Analyze and evaluate fellowship candidate profiles
- Coordinate the scholar recruitment process
- Create and lead preplacement training and postplacement networking
- Develop and run training and group dynamics sessions for scholars
- Coach and support scholars during their mandate
- Provide career development advice for scholars, developing a clear career plan for each scholar
- Manage conflicts and ensure the well-being of scholars during their placements
- Identify and recruit potential mentors
- Establish an effective mentoring program between fellowship and mentor
- Ensure rigorous ongoing monitoring and evaluation of scholar performance and career plans
- Develop and maintain relevant strategic partnerships with potential recruiters in Uganda
- Facilitate the integration of scholars after their placement
- Facilitate activities aimed at strengthening scholar entrepreneurship
- Manage staff and scholar health and safety
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO CROSSROADS
- University degree in a relevant field (Human Resources Management, Personal Development, Sociology, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Minimum professional experience of two (2) years in an HR position
- Demonstrated experience in career planning support
- Experience in team management, strengthening team dynamics and motivating staff
- Experience in coaching, personal development and career development
- Recruitment experience
- Excellent organizational skills, initiative, thoroughness and resourcefulness
- Mastery of office IT tools, including the office suite, SharePoint, Outlook, recruitment software as well as the use of social networks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluency in a local language is an asset
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
WHAT WE OFFER
- An equitable, inclusive, collaborative work environment where you have the opportunity to make an impact daily.
- Enthusiastic encouragement to develop both personally and professionally, taking advantage of a range of learning and development opportunities available to our staff.
- An excellent, competitive benefits plan for you and your dependents.
- Standard vacation and sick leave entitlements and 3 days of professional development leave.
- Annual cost of living increases, pending Board approval, and salary equity reviews every three years.
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency which has been advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa for over 60 years. Crossroads invests in local partner organizations in 9 countries who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With them, we pilot innovative approaches, and empower women and girls to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year Crossroads engages hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address poverty and inequality. The organization’s 50+ employees are based in Canada, Senegal, Ghana and Tanzania, and Crossroads’ volunteers fulfil over 100 mandates per year.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your CV and cover letter in a single document (Word or PDF) no later than 23:59 GMT on October 15, 2023, by email to email@example.com. Applications should include “SSC Recruitment and Career Advancement Officer – Your name” in the subject line of the email. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Not sure you’ve got what it takes, but know you can make a big impact? Tell us your story and we’ll be happy to consider your application. Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to promoting diversity within its workforce and people from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, but only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about Crossroads please visit our website (https://cintl.org/).