Position: Project Financial Analyst
Location: Montreal, QC
Language: English and French required
Supervisor: Director, Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: Infrequent travel within and outside Canada
Hiring Range: $57,037 to $59,642
Closing Date: 5pm on January 20, 2021
The Project Financial Analyst is an integral part of the Finance and Administrative team. The incumbent is responsible for full-cycle project financial reporting. The position works closely with Resource Development in developing proposals, as well as Programming in Canada and Africa in maintaining the accuracy of project financial results. S/he will be a focal point in supporting staff in Ghana, Tanzania and Senegal throughout the project life cycle. The incumbent is an active participant in the continuous improvement of financial systems and processes and supports cross-departmental capacity building with respect to financial management.
- Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with the organization’s mission, values, policies and procedures, standards and systems
- Works in partnership with other members of the program, volunteer and external relations teams to provide financial insight and analysis
- Works in close collaboration with members of the finance and administrative team and cross-functional teams to achieve organizational goals as set forth in the strategic and operational plans
1. Project Financial Accounting and Reporting (40%)
- Prepare journal entries, general ledger reconciliations and reports, including but not limited to advances/accounts receivable, revenue recognition and overhead recovery
- Manage the completion of all monthly and year-end closing tasks, including the timely production and distribution of financial reports
- Produce, analyze and interpret donor specific financial reports for program management
- Ensure that project transactions are in compliance with internal and external requirements, including donor terms and conditions
- Liaise with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer for the development and reporting on project financial metrics
- Monitor progress made to fulfill on program cost sharing commitments
- Prepare working papers for external auditors and provide support to Senior Financial Analyst in the external audit process
- Provide support to Senior Financial Analyst in the planning and execution of internal audits
2. Budget Development and Project Management (35%)
- Provide direct support to program development in the development of project budgets and cashflow forecasts, including development of budgeting/reporting templates
- Work with country/regional offices and program team to develop and monitor project budgets, providing recommendations on how to optimize costs and improve financial performance
- Provide support to program team with the development of Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), as it pertains to financial processes and controls
- Provide oversight on the financial status of projects through liaising with program team; this includes monitoring the timeliness and status of financial reports and escalating to budget holders, as appropriate
- Support the Senior Financial Analyst in organization’s budgeting and forecasting processes
3. Business Process Enhancement (20%)
- Identify areas for improvement and recommend revised procedures where warranted, particularly with respect to financial controls
- Support Director, Finance & Administration and Senior Financial Analyst in the development of financial processes, policies, and reporting frameworks to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations
- Communicate and enforce internal and external policies and procedures to all departments and offices; provide training to department staff, as required
- Support the development and implementation of financial projects, including systems enhancements and implementations
4. Special Projects and Other Initiatives (5%)
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans
- Other duties as required
- 3 years of Canadian experience in project accounting in an international NGO context; experience in a decentralized environment is an asset
- Strong foundation in understanding and applying Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience in project budget development and donor reporting; experience with Global Affairs Canada is an asset
- Demonstrated success in leveraging technology to optimize processes
- Experience working with Financial Edge is an asset
- Bilingual (French and English) is a requirement
- Commitment to growth, development and personal leadership
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, women’s rights, diversity and empowerment
- Organized self-starter and effective at prioritizing actions to create maximum results
- Innovative thinker, results-driven and solutions-oriented
- Client- and service-oriented
- Strong organizational, communication & interpersonal skills
- Work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Travel in Canada will be required, with infrequent international travel
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been advancing equality for 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on January 20th, 2021 by e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must include “Project Financial Analyst – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.