Location: Montreal, QC
Supervisor: Program Manager – Volunteering
Position Type: Parental leave replacement 5 days/week, Nov. 25th, 2019 – Jan. 31st, 2020. Competitive salary and benefits
Languages: Bilinguism FrenchEnglish
Closing date for applications: October 15th, 2019
Starting date: November 25th, 2019
This position has been filled.
Are you a bilingual self-starter who is passionate about global citizenship and looking for a unique opportunity to make a difference?
Crossroads International is currently seeking a bilingual Program Officer, Volunteering to join our team devoted to excellence in international volunteering, developing new approaches and systems that will ensure that Crossroads is at the forefront of international volunteering.
Reporting to the Program Manager, Volunteering and working closely with other members of the Program Team, the Program Officer will contribute to Crossroads’ goal of achieving excellence in international volunteering – including the recruitment, selection, training, support and recognition of volunteers in the Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP), and Québec sans frontières. The Program Officer will contribute to organizational learning, ensuring that Crossroads’ international volunteering work is responsive and effective.
Volunteer Recruitment & Selection
- Develop and implement targeted VCP volunteer recruitment strategies based on recruitment and programmatic annual objectives;
- Develop mapping of potential marketplace and networks to support the recruitment process;
- Develop relationships with organizations, businesses and institutions for the recruitment of qualified volunteers in-line with programmatic needs;
- Liaise with other relevant organizations including, sector specific networks, businesses, schools, colleges and universities to develop effective partnerships for the recruitment of VCP volunteers;
- Liaise with Program Officers-Programming to ensure that all published VCP mandates are clear and designed to attract Canadian volunteers while reflecting the needs of the partner organizations;
- Lead the selection of qualified VCP North-South and e-volunteers, in coordination with Program Officers-Programming and partner organizations;
- Facilitate pre and post-mandate steps in the VCP and QSF Volunteer Cycle, including providing guidance to volunteers regarding conditions and responsibilities of volunteers
- Participate in updating and maintaining information in the Volunteer Tracking System (VTS) and Sharepoint so that volunteer records are accurate and the appropriate output figures are up to date;
- Lead in the preparation, delivery and on-going strengthening of volunteer pre-departure training, individual and group debriefing for the VCP and QSF;
- Lead in the strengthening and development of Volunteer Management tools;
- Participate actively in response to emergency situations, including being on-call for the 247 emergency line;
- Direct support to in-field Liaison Officers regarding volunteer logistics and management;
- Facilitate regular information-sharing meetings with the Program Officers-Programming, Liaison Officers and Project Administrative staff;
- Coordinate the work of the QSF Program Assistant;
- Contribute to QSF project proposals and others are required;
- Contribute to the closure of the 2015 – 2020 VCP and pre-planning for the 2020-2027 VCP;
- Promote excellence and best practices in volunteering within Crossroads International to continuing building a reputation for excellence in volunteer recruitment and retention;
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
- Consistently apply Crossroads’ brand and key messages;
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team members to promote volunteer opportunities;
- Participate in relevant networks on behalf of Crossroads;
- Represent Crossroads at conferences and other fora.
- Minimum three years related work experience;
- University degree or equivalent in a related field;
- In-depth knowledge and experience of international volunteering and/or relevant experience in adult education or human resource management;
- Overseas work experience and knowledge of successful practices in international volunteering preferred;
- Previous experience working with Volunteer Cooperation Programs funded by Global Affairs Canada;
- Previous experience working with Québec sans frontières (QSF) and the Ministère of International Relations and La Francophonie;
- Strong training and facilitation skills;
- Previous experience selecting, recruiting and supporting volunteers;
- Familiarity with online and distance education and learning an asset;
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Capacity to work collaboratively and in a team;
- Capacity to work nights and weekends when needed;
- Fluency in both English and French is essential.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your resume and cover letter by October 15th, 2019 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include Program Officer, Volunteering in the subject line.
Crossroads International, a leader in international cooperation, has been fighting inequality for more than 50 years. We do this by bringing people together to create lasting solutions to overcome poverty and advance women’s rights. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South America. We work with local partner organizations to increase incomes and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads International is committed to principles and values of access and equity. We seek to attract, select, and hire a diverse team with a high level of professional skills, passion for and belief in our vision and mission. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OUR VISION: ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.