Major Gifts Consultant – Terms of Reference
Crossroads International is an international development organization that is reducing poverty and increasing women’s rights around the world. Working with local partners on numerous projects, in various countries, and supported by hundreds of volunteers each year, Crossroads leverages expertise and resources, North and South, required to help people overcome poverty and assert their human rights. In the past few years, Crossroads has experienced a great deal of growth which has included the establishment of new offices in Africa and more than a doubling of staff. The organization continues to experience and plan for growth with the aim of having even greater impact for women and girls in sub-Saharan Africa. This strategic objective requires growth in philanthropic dollars as well.
In alignment with organizational values of equality, empowerment, diversity and accountability, Crossroads is seeking a Consultant in Major Gifts to catalyze significant philanthropic revenue and collaborate with our growing fundraising team. The Consultant, Major Gifts is a passionate and strategic individual who will lead on creating and maintaining strong relationships with major givers, both individuals and corporations. The Consultant will be responsible for growing revenue by working with a portfolio of 50-100 donors and prospective donors. The role will focus on securing gifts in excess of $100K and identifying and developing strong relationships with donors capable of making principal gifts to meet the annual philanthropic goal of $1.5M.
- Identification of new and high-level major gift and corporate leads, as well as solicitation and acquisition of principal gifts to a minimum of $100K, including planned, anticipated, committed and realized giving
- Creation of tailored impact reports and cultivation plans in coordination with team members
- Participation in and support of organizational fundraising events, acting as an ambassador for Crossroads
- Ownership of regular donor pipeline review meetings to track progress of prospect engagement and solicitation including the update of the donor database (CRM) related to donor interactions
Provision of recommendations on major gift and corporate philanthropic approach. Creation of and support for the development of briefing documents, solicitations, presentations, and follow-up communication related to donor meetings.
- Post-secondary degree (BA) in relevant field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ fundraising experience with a proven track record of success in raising major gifts ($10,000 and above)
- CFRE designation a desirable asset
- Proficiency in written and spoken English (French is a desirable asset)
- Remote work with a preference for a base in Toronto, Ontario and a requirement for availability during business hours Eastern Time
TIMEFRAME & RATE OF PAY
- December 2023 to March 2024 (4-month contract)
- Part-time with a minimum 2 days a week
- Rate of pay to be negotiated
Eligibility Criteria and Essential Conditions
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency which has been advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa for over 60 years. Crossroads invests in local partner organizations in 9 countries who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With them, we pilot innovative approaches, and empower women and girls to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year Crossroads engages hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address poverty and inequality. The organization’s 50+ employees are based in Canada, Senegal, Ghana and Tanzania, and Crossroads’ volunteers fulfil over 100 mandates per year.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your resume and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) before 5 pm on November 22, 2023 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Major Gifts Consultant – Terms of Reference – Your Name” in the subject line of the email. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.