Position: Human Resource Mobilization Officer
Location: Toronto or Montréal
Supervisor: Director, Finance and Administration & Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
Position Type: Full-Time, 1-year contract
Language: English and French
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: This position may include travel between the Toronto and Montréal offices
Salary Range: $57,037 to $66,467
Hiring Range: $60,537 to $66,049
The Human Resource Mobilization Officer is an integral part of the Finance and Administrative team and the Volunteer Mobilization Team. The incumbent brings hands on experience in human resource administration is a fast learner and has a good balance of analytical and problem skills, combined with creative thinking. Reporting jointly to the Director, Finance and Administration and the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization, the position provides cross-functional support across the organization for the human resources function. Fluency in English and French is required. This person will contribute to a growing program that is reducing poverty and advancing equality for women and girls in some of the world’s poorest countries.
The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of processes, approaches and systems to facilitate the recruitment, selection, training, support, performance management and recognition of international to ensure that Crossroads is at the forefront of international volunteering. As a member of the Finance and Administration Team, they will manage the HR administrative function and be a key contributor to the ongoing review and development of best practice as it pertains to HR policies, systems and procedures. Notably, they will lead the organizational rollout of the Sexual Violence Code of Conduct and Policy and participate in the Risk Management Committee. This position has key responsibilities for cross-cutting and multidirectional responsibilities linked to quality assurance, improved services and innovation to help reinforce Crossroads’ capacity to support volunteers, staff partners and programming. As a member of the Volunteer Team, they will ensure that all volunteer recruitment and on-boarding processes, tools and documents are aligned with Canadian legislation in relation to volunteer management, as well as Crossroads’ organisational policies and approaches.
The following main responsibilities are indicative only and may change over time:
Human Resource Policies and Risk Management (40%)
- Lead the operationalization of the Sexual Violence Code of Conduct and Policy across the volunteer program and the organization
- Participate in the Risk Management Committee in the capacity as the HR focal point
- Streamline volunteer and personnel policies and procedures
- Build organizational capacity of HR policies through delivery of training
- Promote employee wellness, including oversight of health and safety management across Canadian offices
Recruitment, Onboarding and Human Resource Relations (25%)
- Organize and manage full-cycle recruitment activities, including but not limited to ensuring standardized job descriptions, posting jobs, responding to inquiries, pre-screening, coordinating interviews and preparation of offer packages
- Lead onboarding and offboarding processes, including employee’s first/last day, coordination of IT equipment and office logistics
- Construct and distribute written notifications to employees relating to their position or general HR matters
Systems and Business Process Review (30%)
- Lead in the strengthening of recruitment processes and approaches to ensure a more efficient and effective volunteer selection process
- Lead in the strengthening and development of Volunteer On-boarding and Management content including, but not limited to, the Volunteer Contract, Conditions, and Guide
- Lead in the development of a Volunteer Performance Management System
- Support in the development of a Volunteer Engagement Guide for Crossroads’ staff, as well as partner organizations
- Contribute to the digitalization and on-line accessibility of volunteer on-boarding documents
- Contribute to the strengthening of volunteer pre-departure training, individual and group debriefing
- Contribute to various HR projects, such as implementation of Human Resource Information System (HRIS), redevelopment of performance review and management tools, review of HR policies, procedures, and practices, etc.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
Perform Other Duties as Required (5%)
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans, including promoting living Crossroads’ organizational values
- Contribute to the ongoing emphasis of process improvements, including current projects within the Volunteer Mobilization Team as well as the Finance and Admin Team
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources or Business Administration
- Working towards CHRP designation (or equivalent)
- Minimum of three (3) years HR administration experience
- Experience in operationalizing policies and processes addressing the prevention of sexual violence
- Experience with organizational risk management practices, approaches and policies
- Exposure to labour law (Ontario, Quebec and international) and employment equity regulations
- Knowledge and understanding of HR best practices for employees and volunteers
- Hands-on experience with full-cycle recruitment and HR administration
- Previous experience within a not-for-profit environment is an asset; interest in international development and/or volunteer organizations preferred
- Proficiency in Office 365, ADP or other HRIS software; experience with international volunteerism preferred
- Bilingualism (French and English) required
- Commitment to growth and development
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, diversity, and empowerment
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Innovation, creativity, collaboration
- Organized self-starter, ability to manage competing deadlines in an effective manner to meet tight deadlines
- Must be able work independently and effectively collaborate within a team across multiple geographic locations
- Adaptive and tolerant to uncertainty
- Client- and service-oriented
- Strong organizational, administrative, communication & interpersonal skills
- To work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Infrequent travel in Canada may be required
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in sub-Saharan Africa and West Africa with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together, we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads International is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) by 5pm on August 5, 2020 by e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must include “Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Human Resources Lead – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.