Position: Short term Consultant – Gender Equality Strategy
Supervisor: Program Manager – Volunteer Cooperation Program
Position Type: Temporary contract
Language: English and French
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: This position will not include travel
Salary Range: to be negotiated
Hiring Range: N/A
BACKGROUND & RATIONALE
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. We do this by bringing people together for a common cause, to create lasting solutions to overcome poverty and advance women’s rights. Crossroads works with local partner organizations in sub-Saharan Africa to strengthen women’s economic power; empower them to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers in this work, who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads International envisions a world where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled. And hence, it works to create a more equitable and sustainable world by engaging and strengthening individuals and communities. Crossroads has been implementing a Gender Equality Policy since 2006 founded on global landmark documents and Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy, which are firmly rooted in its commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment. Crossroads Gender Equality Policy has been revised and updated in 2019 to align with global and Canadian agendas and capitalize on new opportunities.
Crossroads International’s 2020-2027 Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) entitled Championing Gender Equality Together, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), will engage Canadian women and men, Canadian stakeholders, Crossroads staff and volunteers, local partner organizations and women and men in sub-Saharan Africa to become Gender Equality Champions. Collectively these Gender Equality Champions constitute a global community of strong change agents and advocates for the advancement of gender equality both in Canada and overseas.
The Project aims to reduce gender inequalities and alleviate poverty by addressing gender-based violence, inequalities in access to resources and economic opportunities, and barriers in exercising strategic forms of choice, voice and influence, which are the culmination of unequal and discriminatory power relations entrenched in society. Crossroads will address the root causes of gender-based inequalities and discrimination through a multidimensional holistic approach in the VCP that will, 1) promote women’s rights; 2) advance access to justice and the reduction of gender-based violence (GBV), 3) promote equal representation of women and men, and 4) target inequalities that limit women’s ability to participate in and benefit from economic activities. Crossroads applies a rights-based approach to programming, which extends to promoting, protecting and defending women’s rights, including strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organizations to participate in and influence policy formulation and hold accountable those who have a duty to act.
It is in this context that the consultant will develop a Gender Equality strategy aiming at deepening the VCP’s theory of change and logic model approved by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) as part of the Program Implementation Plan.
To develop Crossroads VCP’s Gender Equality Strategy and provide guidance on realizing Crossroads VCP’s Gender Equality outcomes.
Based on a review of all Crossroads key documents related to Gender Equality, the consultant will develop a Gender Equality Strategy for the VCP. The scope of the work will include the following:
- Develop a collaborative process for input, review and building ownership around the Gender Equality Strategy that includes consultations of the implementation team, partners and volunteers.
- Draft the Gender Equality Strategy including the following: a first section providing an overview of the situation of women and girls in 11 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, to summarize and validate gender inequalities and barriers identified during the proposal development using the gender-based analysis + analytical process. This section will also describe the Gender Equality outcomes of the project at all levels. The second section will present the Gender Equality implementation strategy of Crossroads’ new program in relation to the logic model by laying out and explaining the different approaches and interventions aiming at achieving the Gender Equality outcomes of the project.
- Provide overall recommendations on gender mainstreaming in the Program Implementation Plan notably as it relates to capacity building and program monitoring and evaluation.
- Review our gender policy and produce recommendations on its action plan draft.
In the process of the assignment, the consultant will submit and deliver the following:
- Before October 31st, 2020: A first draft of the Gender Equality Strategy and a presentation of the draft to the Program team. The draft should be between 3 to 5 pages (times new roman, 11, line spacing 1.15).
- Before November 30th, 2020: A final version of the Gender Equality Strategy (in English) incorporating the feedback from the Program team.
3. OVERALL TASKS
Under the direction of Crossroads Program team, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Carry out a review of Crossroads’ strategic and operational documents, GAC’s Voluntary Cooperation Program call and Crossroads approved proposal, Crossroads Gender Equality Policy, and any other Global Affairs Canada (GAC) documents that could facilitate the development of this Gender Equality strategy.
- Organize regular meetings with Crossroads program team.
- Support the definition of a vision and approach to support a human rights-based approach and gender equality mainstreaming in the context of the Volunteer Cooperation Program.
- Develop a first version of the Gender Equality Strategy in collaboration with Crossroads Program team before October 31st, 2020.
- Present the draft strategy to Crossroads Program team for feedback.
- Based on feedback, produce a final version of the Gender Equality strategy before November 30th, 2020.
- Upon feedback received from GAC around March-April 2021, make adjustments and finalize the Gender Equality Strategy.
4. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will be agile, innovative, solution-oriented and client-focused, with a high level of adaptability and tolerance in managing uncertainty and multi-stakeholder expectations in a changing environment.
- Advanced University Degree (minimum master’s degree in gender studies, development studies, political science or other related fields).
- Demonstrated experience in managing programs on gender equality, gender mainstreaming or women empowerment policies/projects/programs in sub-Saharan Africa in particular.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and reviewing strategies and policies on gender equality at institutional level.
- Demonstrated experience in designing/preparing gender policy/strategies for civil society organizations or networks in the sector of international development.
- Demonstrated experience in designing budgets for gender-sensitive initiatives within an organizational framework.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate collaborative work remotely across online platforms.
- Bilingualism (French and English) required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
5. SUGGESTED METHODOLOGY
The following methodology is proposed to ensure the success of the assignment :
- Review of key documents such as Crossroads Gender Equality Policy, Strategic plan and VCP proposal;
- The consultant will ideally interact with the internal team regularly for briefings on progress and challenges;
- At the end of the assignment, there will be a debriefing meeting with management and program staff, to discuss the outcome of the assignment and the way forward.
6. TIMING AND DURATION
- The Gender Equality Strategy must be clear, precise and provide a global vision relating to 11 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, while being contained in 3 to 5 pages.
- The Gender Equality Strategy needs to be finalized by November 30th, 2020 at the latest.
- The duration of the assignment: Maximum of 10 days
- The daily consultation fees will be for negotiation.
7. Essential conditions
- Ability to work full time (7 hours per day), as soon as possible, with few additional days available for corrections in March or April 2021.
- Location: virtually for the entire contract, no field trips necessary
- Position Type: Temporary consultancy contract
- The final version of the Gender Equality Strategy needs to be written in English.
If you are interested in working with a dynamic international development organization, please submit your Resume and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) as well as a financial proposition (please indicate clearly the daily rate) by: Thursday, October 15th at noon Montreal time, to Jacklyn Pearson – email@example.com adding in the subject line of the email: “Offer – gender equality strategy consultant“. Resume and cover letters can be in French or in English.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.