Contribute to crucial governance oversight function for an ambitious and visionary organization as a member of the Board of Directors of Crossroads International.
Crossroads International — one of Canada’s foremost international cooperation organizations — has been fighting inequality for more than 50 years. We do this by bringing people together for a common cause, to create lasting solutions to overcome poverty and advance women’s rights. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in sub-Saharan Africa and South America and supports women, youth and the rural poor, who are often marginalized in the economy and left out of the decisions that affect their lives.
How do we work?
We work as equals with local partner organizations (in each of the seven countries) to create economic opportunities and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff in Canada and in the countries where we work who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. We invest in local partners who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With local partners, we develop co-operatives and collective enterprises that generate income and advance the autonomy of youth, women and the rural poor. We pilot innovative approaches to reducing violence against women and girls and advancing women’s rights. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
How are we financed?
Crossroads is a registered charity, supported by the Global Affairs Canada, other government and non-government funders and many individual donors.
The Board has the legal corporate authority and responsibility for the stewarding of Crossroads International’s mission, for its stability and financial integrity. It comprises a team of dedicated volunteers providing strategic direction; supporting program growth and development as well as providing independent oversight, expertise and guidance. The primary responsibilities of the Board are:
- Strategic Planning
- Financial stewardship and revenue generation
- Risk management
- Interrelationship with Funders, Donors, Partners, Executive Director and the Public
- Evaluation and Sustainability
- Prepare for, and participate in, Board and Committee meetings
- Participate in, as appropriate and required, ad hoc sub-committees which may be formed to address specific issues
- Typically, there are three full-day in-person board meetings annually, with a board dinner the preceding evening. In addition, board members participate in conference call meetings for the board and for board committees that are 1.5 hours in duration, an estimated six or more times per year (depending on an individual board member’s committee membership). The total estimated time commitment including preparation is ten to twelve days annually including travel and committee work.
- Make an annual donation
- Experienced in board governance
- Committed to being an active, contributing member of the Board and of one of the various committees
- Willing to volunteer your time to provide a service to Crossroads, helping it fulfill its mission
- Understand the obligations and responsibilities of a Board Director and the distinction between the governance role of the Board of Directors and the operational responsibilities of management
Preference will be given to candidates who bring attributes or capabilities that include some of the following:
- Strong networks including access to sector or business leaders and decision makers
- Willingness and ability to leverage relationships to secure funding
- Strong financial management experience or knowledge
- Knowledge of risk management
- Experience with government relations
- Knowledgeable about the international development sector, ideally with experience with non-profits, government, institutional and individual funding in sub-Saharan Africa and South America
- Candidates from across Canada are welcome to apply, presence in Quebec or Atlantic Canada is an asset
Language: English or French, bilingual is an asset.
Crossroads International is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the recruitment of members for its board.
Deadline to apply:
Crossroads International is seeking new members for the board of directors. If you are an interested qualified candidate please send a letter of interest and resume to Crossroad International’s Administrative Assistant, Scott Marentette firstname.lastname@example.org using BOARD OF DIRECTORS in the subject line by Tuesday, March 19, 2019.
You can also contact the Chair, Board of Directors, Ms. Susan Watts at email@example.com for any clarification on this call for volunteers.
Are you interested in other volunteer positions at Crossroads or you know someone who could be?
There are many opportunities to volunteer at Crossroads:
- Day of the Girl Breakfast planning and other fundraising event leadership
- Organizational Development
- Finance Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Volunteer overseas, see our current postings
Simply write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org