Position Type: Bilingual Communications Officer
Position Type: Full time
Conditions: Ability to travel from home for short periods is required. Given the nature of our work, some evening and weekend work is required.
Hiring Range: $52,000 to $59,000
Closing Date: 5pm on March 20, 2020
Crossroads International is seeking a bilingual Communications Officer to bring our storytelling and stakeholder engagement to new levels. Reporting to the Director, External Relations, this position is part of a dynamic team committed to engaging existing stakeholders and attracting new Crossroads volunteers and donors. Versatile, creative and committed to excellence, the Communications Officer will be the chief storyteller, creating marketing and communications content across a variety of platforms that illustrate the impact of Crossroads International to attract volunteers and increase revenue.
The ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter and strategic thinker that creates compelling content to move audiences and deliver measurable results. S/he is a skilled writer with solid experience coordinating print and online projects; executing marketing initiatives and securing media coverage. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with fundraising, volunteer and program leads to create captivating content and campaigns on budget and on deadline. S/he will organize and support events with photography and video capture and oversee production. Professional knowledge of social media, national media engagement and exceptional project management skills are required. Experience overseas is a definite asset.
- Develops annual communications plan to contribute to strategic goals inclusive of publications (program briefs, case studies, annual reports, blogs etc); marketing campaigns and media relations to attract new supporters and increase the engagement of stakeholders and to support fundraising, program, volunteer and public engagement objectives
- Develops annual calendar of editorial and marketing opportunities and deadlines
- Ensures Crossroads brand and key messages are applied across all platforms
- Develops annual editorial calendar for to deliver approved and finalized content and ensures systems and strategies for review and approval are in place
- Researches, interviews stakeholders and writes compelling articles for Crossroads publications including: annual report, alumni magazine; monthly e-bulletins, web site other publications as required
- Assigns and edits stories to ensure diversity of voices (alumni, volunteers, partners etc.)
- Coordinates production with external suppliers (designers, writers, printers, mailing house and photographers) within strict deadlines and budgets
Marketing and promotional materials
- Spearheads and manages production of creative print and online collateral: campaign, advertising, brochures, posters etc ensuring consistent corporate identity
- Updates information about Crossroads in national and international directories
- Researches, writes and coordinates communication materials for external relations, program and volunteer team as required including solicitations; brochures, proposals etc.
- Ensure effective brand management: quality assurance, consistent messaging and voice across all platforms
- Implements proactive media relations program to raise profile of Crossroads with identified target groups (partners, volunteer, funders, donors etc.)
- Initiates research, writes and disseminates news releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, feature articles, editorials, blogs, talking points and other media pieces; organizes and manages media inquiries and interview requests; posts relevant content online
- Develops story ideas and events and pitches them to reporters and bloggers
- Recruits and manages volunteer writers/researchers/bloggers and cultivate relationships with volunteers, reporters, bloggers and other strategic allies who can help in online promotion of Crossroads
- Monitors offline and online media coverage on core issues and campaign targets
- Collates and analyzes media coverage and reports;
- Develops and maintains local and national media lists for key target markets
- Coordinates and ensures quality translations for Crossroads external communications
- Provides internal support for bilingual communication
- Maintain up to date roster of external translators and interpreters
- Develops and implements strategy to acquire strong visual images of Crossroads volunteers, partners and beneficiaries in the field
- Maintains online photo/video archive
- In cooperation with the external relations, program and volunteer team organizes and supports special events
- Support events with photography and video capture and oversee production.
- Develops and facilitates annual communications training for Crossroads volunteers and staff
- Develops and monitors communication standards and style guides as required
- Monitors/administers project budgets to ensure no cost overruns and coordinates tendering process for all major projects to ensure cost effectiveness
- Coordinates the communications library, ensure labelling of photographs and videos, and organize the magazine and communication tool archives
- Recruits and supervises communication interns and volunteers as required
Other duties as required
- University degree in journalism, marketing, communications or related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in marketing/communications including professional experience in project management with a PR agency, corporation or nonprofit organization
- Bilingualism, written and oral, English French is required.
- Proven ability to write clear, concise and compelling prose — articles, press releases, op-eds, ad copy, blog posts and email alerts etc.
- Exceptional project management skills including managing production to deadline on budget
- Demonstrated success securing media coverage through proactive media relations programs
- Dynamic presentation and facilitation skills and experience in community building on and offline through events, trainings, campaigns etc.
- Experience coordinating translation
- Professional experience using social media as blogger, on Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Solid copy-editing skills, strong attention to detail and familiarity with Globe and Mail Style
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Experience working with WordPress, HTML and CSS, Adobe Creative Suite and other design software
- Raisers Edge and online express experience an asset
- A commitment to gender equality and the promotion of women’s rights
- Experience in the field of international development or international volunteering is a definite asset
- Experience coordinating and collaborating with volunteers an asset
- Familiarity with media databases
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for 60 years. We do this by bringing people together for a common cause, to create lasting solutions to overcome poverty and advance women’s rights. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations, We work with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers in this work, who apply their expertise to increase the capacity of local organizations. Since the first volunteer served overseas in 1958, more than 9,000 people from Canada and the countries where we work have volunteered with Crossroads International. With the support of donors, volunteers and local partners, we develop co-operatives and collective enterprises that generate income and advance the autonomy of youth, women and the rural poor. We pilot innovative approaches to reducing violence against women and girls and advancing women’s rights. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one Word or .pdf document by 5pm on March 20, 2020 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include Bilingual Marketing & Communications Officer in the subject line.
Crossroads International is committed to principles and values of access and equity. We seek to attract, select, and hire a diverse team with a high level of professional skills, passion for and belief in our vision and mission.
All applicants must currently be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants in advance; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.