Position: Bilingual Accounting Officer
Location: Montreal or Toronto
Language: English and French required
Supervisor: Director, Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Travel: Infrequent travel within Canada
Hiring Range: $46,901 to $49,246
Closing Date: 5pm on April 14, 2021
The Bilingual Accounting Officer is an integral part of the Finance and Administrative team. The incumbent processes financial transactions relating to the accounts payable cycle, performs various general ledger reconciliations (including bank reconciliations) and processes journal entries as part of the monthly and annual financial close process. This position is a key contact for Crossroads’ African offices and provides cross-functional support across the organization for the administrative function.
- Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with the organization’s mission, values, policies and procedures, standards and systems
- Works in partnership with finance members across all offices to coordinate and ensure smooth day-to-day financial operations
- Works in close collaboration with members of the finance and administrative team and cross-functional teams to achieve organizational goals as set forth in the strategic and operational plans
1. Project Financial Accounting and Reporting (65%)
- Process daily financial transactions, including but not limited to:
- Preparing and making bank deposits
- Accounts payable invoice entry
- Electronic payment processing, including review of appropriate supporting documentation and payment authorization as per the organization’s policies.
- Prepare and process standard entries as part of the monthly and annual financial statement close process, as well as other journal entries as assigned.
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations as part of the monthly and annual financial statement close process in a timely manner, including bank reconciliations.
- Responsible for general maintenance of the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable subledger.
- Review and process credit card reconciliations, including supporting documentation, in a timely manner.
- Communicate with vendors/suppliers on Crossroads accounts and/or payments, as required.
- Maintain financial records for capital assets, including the recording and amortization of capital assets.
- Prepare and enter all financial transactions for Friends of Canadian Crossroads Foundation (FCCF), including financial statement preparation.
- Support internal and external reporting requirements, including funder reports, Board and Finance Committee reports and the external audit process.
2. Training on Financial processes (15%)
- Onboarding training for all employees on financial processes
- Providing support to finance and administrative employees in Ghana, Tanzania and Senegal on an ongoing basis
- Development and delivery of financial training for volunteers
3. Payroll Administration and Processing (5%)
- Bi-weekly payroll processing and benefits administration for Canadian employees
- Complete statutory payroll filing requirements
- Enforce time keeping requirements, i.e. timesheets
4. Business Process Enhancement (10%)
- Identify areas for improvement and recommend revised procedures where warranted, particularly with respect to financial controls
- Communicate and enforce internal and external policies and procedures to all departments and offices; provide training to department staff, as required
- Support the development and implementation of financial projects, including systems enhancements and implementations
5. Perform Other Duties as Required (5%)
- Participate as member of the administrative team which collaborates in providing administrative support in the Toronto office and across the organization
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans
- Post-secondary diploma in Accounting, Business Administration, or a relevant field
- Minimum of two (2) years of full cycle accounting experience in a computerized environment
- Knowledge and experience in applying relevant accounting principles (Canadian GAAP)
- Previous experience within a not-for-profit environment is an asset; interest in international development and/or volunteer organizations preferred
- Proficiency in MS Excel; experience with Financial Edge preferred
- Bilingual (French and English) is a requirement
- Commitment to growth, development and personal leadership
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, women’s rights, diversity and empowerment
- Organized self-starter and effective at prioritizing actions to create maximum results
- Innovative thinker, results-driven and solutions-oriented
- Client- and service-oriented
- Strong organizational, communication & interpersonal skills
Eligibility criteria and essential Conditions
- Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
- Work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Travel infrequently in Canada as required
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been advancing equality for 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct, and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on April 14th, 2021 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Bilingual Accounting Officer – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.